Thursday, May 6, 2010

What is Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy?

If you're new to the world of weight loss surgery, you probably don't know a lot about the different types of surgeries that are performed.  Most people, when I told them I was having surgery, assumed I was getting a band (also known as an adjustable gastric band, a Lap-Band or a Realize Band).  When I said no, they jumped to the next surgery type, the gastric bypass, aka Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.  Again, people would look at me, puzzled, when I told them I was not having gastric bypass surgery.  They were left to wonder what else there is besides these two better known procedures.  I would then explain to them that I was opting for the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, or sleeve, as it is often called.

VSG is a relative newcomer to the world of WLS.  For years, it was (and still is) the first step of another, more complicated type of weight loss surgery called the Duodenal Switch.  With the VSG, there is no re-routing of the digestive system/intestines.  All that is done (and it sounded really intimidating at first) is the removal of about 85% of the stomach.  There is no foreign object left inside of you.  It is permanent.  It is a restrictive-only procedure, i.e. there is no malabsorptive aspect to it like with a bypass or a DS.  After the VSG is performed, the stomach is about the size and shape of a banana.
















Image taken from http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/cmsID,8874/mode,content/a,cms/

Now, you may ask why did I go for the sleeve over the band or the bypass?  Well, for me it came down to several reasons.  First of all, I've read too many horror stories about the band.  Sure, some people have lots of success with their band, but it sounds like many more have trouble with them.  Secondly, the thought of having my intestines re-routed and not being able to absorb all the vitamins and nutrients my body needs scared me a bit.  Third, I had to pay for this myself since my insurance does not cover any type of weight loss surgery, even if medically necessary.  I didn't want to choose a surgery type that was more likely to need another surgery somewhere down the road.  Finally, to me, VSG sounded like something I could actually live with for the rest of my life AND be successful with!

I am not saying that VSG is the best choice for everyone.  I am just saying that for me and my lifestyle, and accounting for the amount of weight I want to lose, VSG was the only option.  I may be only 3 days out from surgery, but already I feel very good about the decision I made.  You can read much more about VSG on ObesityHelp.com, a great website dedicated to educating pre- and post-op patients on the different types of surgery available to them.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I just found you through the OH forum. I hope you keep posting. I am having my VGB on June 9th.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful.

    Get inspired by Gastric bypass success stories

    ReplyDelete